Saturday 16 August 2014

Life's For The Living

Because writing "Shut Up And Listen" was so much fun (at least for me, I hope you enjoyed it as well- after all - those were Passenger's lyrics :D), I decided to do something similar with the 5th Passenger's album "All The Little Lights". This time it won't be just pieces of lyrics, but also my most favourite versions of the song (performed by Passenger on gigs, music sessions and stuff), stories that Mike shared with us about the song and whatever occurs to me while listening.

Wonders of the album All The Little Lights
***
I won't start suprisingly with the expected one 'Let Her Go' because I think it should have an article on its own (maybe, I'll see if I have enough ideas- the songs so special so it deserves something special). I'll open the article with a song which is probably one of my favourite ones from the album.

I. Holes 

The song was released as the third single from his album. 


He's so nice and funny, eh?

"It's a really hopeful song, I think. Some of the album is pretty sad, pretty dark, and I think 'Holes' is a really nice song to put at the end of a concert to bring the mood up." (Mike about the song in an interview for VH1)

It's quite a hopeful songs. (...) the fact we all go through really difficult times and really hard times and we sort of pick ourselves up and carry on. It's the sort of song I play at the end of my gig so people don't walk away crying 'cause the rest of my songs are pretty miserable. Joking: (giving them) just the tiny ammount of hope. (about meaning of the song Holes in an interview for Secret Session)

My most favourite bits from Holes
When you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose
Now I've got a hole in my pocket, hole in my shirt, a whole of trouble he said,
But now the money is gone, life carries on, and I miss it like a hole in the head
...
Mortgage to pay and four kids to raise, keeping the wolf from the door.
She said the wolf is just a puppy and the door's double locked, so why you gotta worry me for?
No he left a hole in my heart, a hole in a promise, a hole on the side of my bed
Oh, now that's he gone, well life carries on, I miss him like the hole in the head
Well sometimes you can't change, and you can't choose
And sometimes you gain less than you lose
A hint for Bastille's fans: "There's a hole in my soul, I can't fill it, I can't fill it..." What would you do? - You just pick yourself up as you life carries on (tip from song Holes) or you dig up your flaws and finish what you stared (tip from Bastille's song Flaws). See what I'm trying to point out? :) Keep carry on

II. Circles

Mike confirmed in an interview for FaceCulture that the song is autobiographical.
I suppose the song is about Mike's friendship, how he has been friend with that person since they were little and they will stay friends until they die. And the circle is the circle of life. (Yeah, I think I got it totally wrong and Mike wrote it with a different idea- unfortunately, I haven't heard his official interpretation of the lyrics- if you have, please, let me know :))

Mike performing Circles (with a part of The Eye Of The Tiger)

Cos we're circles
we're circles you see
...
And they throw our dust to the wind

I get the things mentioned in the lyrics evolve (Clocktower, wind, torch light, big light). Of course, small boys became adults and they has changed (even though, certain things stay the same, the things don't get lost, they evolve- it is pictured as the circle). I hope I got at least that right... But what exactly clocktower and wind represent? Is it something specific or does it just shows the growing up and growing old? (of course, I got some ideas about it but I'm not gonna embarrass myself)


III. Feather On The Clyde

(the song features (among others) Stu!)

Her current just like my blood flows
down from the hill, round aching bones to my restless heart
Well I would swim but the river is so wide
And I'm scared I won't make it to the other side
Well God knows I've failed but he knows I've tried
I long for something that's safe and warm
But all I have is all that is gone
I'm as helpless and hopeless as a feather on the Clyde
...
well, the sun sets late in Glasgow
And the daylight and the city part
"I've been going there for years. Playing the street, playing in pubs. It's one of those places where you get there first and it's quite rough in some ways, but the more I went there, the more I loved it. It's kind of that juxtaposition of that place — in some ways, it's quite bleak and cold, but on the other side of things, it's got this beating heart to it that's warm and kind." (in an interview for VH1)








0 comments:

Post a Comment