Saturday 16 August 2014

"Shut Up And Listen"

There's more to Passenger's song, there are more than "just" music (and in this case, I mean it's not just amazing), they are like short stories. If you listen to them, they make you feel... You know they are brilliant but if you really listen to them, to the lyrics, they bury into your brain.

I adore the name of the last CD- "Whispers" and also a whole idea of the cover of the album- the attemp (successful one! :)) to make it look like a children book (or book of fairy-tales) is just IT. (I suppose if Mike released a fairy-tale book-prefferable audio one- I'd definately buy it.) His songs just strike you. I just cannot work out how he can make something like this from "nothing"- in the beginning there's like an idea or a story. He says that people imagine that song-writing is something really complicated, but it's not like that- it's quite natural and simple in a way (interview for FaceCulture)- I guess if you are talented (and a little bit of magician (: ) like Mike is, that's the case!


My most favourite pieces of lyrics from "Whisper"

 

Sometimes I feel like I'm going nowhere
Sometimes I'm sure I never will
...
Sometimes I'm feeling I'm falling
Falling fast and falling free
...
But I am scared I said, what if the stone don't slow down
Oh, just be aware she said
what goes up will come down
  Rolling Stone, Whisper, Passenger, 2014, writer: Michael D. Rosenberg (Passenger), Universal Music

Now my heart's a frozen lake where streams used to float
Down to the forest of my mind where memory would grow
...
And if I light the match I'll be able to catch
the last sun before it goes
Start A Fire,  Whisper, Passenger, 2014, writer: Michael D. Rosenberg (Passenger), Universal Music


I gotta sell out if I want to get sold
Don't want the devil to be taking my soul
I write songs that come from my heart
I don't give a fuck if they get into charts, oh no
Only way I can be, is to say what I see
...
I am hungry heart and loaded gun
...
I know that I don't know how
To please everybody all the time
'Cause everybody always fuc*ing changes their mind
...
Don't want to stop, don't be persuaded
To write words I can't believe in, to see my face on video screen
...
all the verse with numbers (600 hundred songs, only 12 get sung...)
...
Ever dying old hopes, ever growing new fears
...
Said I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I have done
27, Whisper, Passenger, 2014, writer: Michael D. Rosenberg (Passenger), Universal Music


Didn't care much for the VCR
But he cried for the space where the bullets were
Bullets, Whisper, Passenger, 2014, writer: Michael D. Rosenberg (Passenger), Universal Music

What's left to say when every word's been spoken
What's left to see when your eyes won't open
What's to do when we've lost all hopes
What's left to break when our hearts are broken
...
So full of hope and now we're filled with doubts
Dirty jokes we laughed about
But it's not funny anymore
I fear I choke unless I spit it out
Golden leaves, Whisper, Passenger, 2014, writer: Michael D. Rosenberg (Passenger), Universal Music



NOTE: Even though that lyrics of songs should be understood  and "felt" as the whole (i agree with that), those pieces I've chosen are the moments in the songs that make me to jump up :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment